The year 2020 is no doubt going to be a great year. If you thought you had big wins this year then next year is totally going to blow your mind. But guess what? It’s not just going to be by mouth. You have to put in the much-needed work also. One way to do this is through self-development. These days, it’s no news that your degree isn’t enough to get you the big paying jobs. Those who catch the biggest fish in the river of success are those who have garnered the required skills.
Besides your work experience and educational background, your skills are another very important section in your CV that employers are on the lookout for. It’s up to you to ensure that this section isn’t empty. But beyond having skills, it’s more important to have the right skills. Some skills have been made obsolete by technology while others may not apply to your dream job. However, there are generally relevant skills that are tailored to the present-day world.
These skills are what will guarantee you a great 2020. Here are ten of them:
- ANALYTICAL REASONING: Yeah, I know you’re already a great thinker. But this goes beyond just day-to-day reasoning. It is the ability to make smart decisions even under pressure. Taking courses on Executive Decision Making is a great head start.
- PEOPLE MANAGEMENT: No one and no business ever survived without people. This skill will gear you towards becoming a leader who can organize people and get tasks done smoothly. Courses to learn include Motivating and Engaging Employees.
- SALES LEADERSHIP: No matter what you do, the endgame is always to sell. People need great sales strategies and are willing to pay big to anyone who can bring in the clients. Take a course on Sales Management to begin.
- SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING: 2020 will usher us into a new decade, a decade where most Gen Z kids (2000s) will become a major part of the internet world. These guys are a major industry and brands will be looking for ways to speak to them on social media.
- JOURNALISM: I’m not talking about traditional print or TV here. In 2020, there will be a need for great digital storytelling and you won’t have to be a journalist to do this.
- COMPETITIVE STRATEGIES: These are strategies that help a brand tackle the competition. People who can help them stay abreast of the competition will be needed much more. A course like Business Development Foundations will help you learn this skill.
- CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS: Having this skill will help you manage the identity and customer relationship of brands in times of crisis. Taking a course on Crisis Communications will help.
- PERSUASION: It’s not just enough to have a great product or service; you should also be able to persuade people into buying it. Persuasive skills can be learned with a course on Advanced Consumer Behaviour.
- COLLABORATION: As the future of work begins to take on more dynamic forms and grow with technology, there will be a huge need for collaboration. You cannot go it alone. Collaborative skills can be learned with courses on Being an Effective Team Member.
- TIME MANAGEMENT: Time is arguably our greatest asset but it can also be our greatest enemy. The people who would be most productive in 2020 are those who can manage their time.